Best Ketone Blog » keto diet
Ketosis is a normal bodily process where fat is converted into compounds called ketones to be used as the body’s main source of energy. This process comes with lots of health benefits, and studies show that diets that promotes ketosis aids weight loss by suppressing appetite and burning fat. This is the idea behind ketogenic diet.
Also, newer studies show ketosis’ benefits for managing type 2 diabetes, neurological conditions, and more. With that said, how can one get to a state of ketosis? Simply cutting out carbs will not get you there. You will also need to use ketone test strips to ensure you can measure your ketosis level. Let‘s breakdown all the steps.
Minimize Carb Consumption
Cutting out carbohydrates is the first step to ketosis. In a normal condition, the body uses sugar (glucose) from carbs to convert into a source of energy. Glucose (in the form of glycogen) is stored in the liver and muscles. However, the human body contains cells that can also use other sources of fuel, like fatty acids (ketone bodies). In nutritional ketosis, you are allowing your liver to convert fatty acids into ketone bodies to be used as fuel.
The carb restriction differs from one person to another. Some may need to limit their net carbs (total number of carbs minus fiber) to 20g per day. Others may get to ketosis state even by eating twice as much. To get the right measurement, it is best to use a ketone test strip so you can closely monitor it.
A form of ketogenic diet called Atkins Diet suggests carbs restriction of 20g or lower per day for a span of 2 weeks can guarantee ketosis. After which, small amounts of carbohydrates can be gradually reintroduced to the body while maintaining ketosis.
Add Coconut Oil
Adding coconut oil while doing a keto diet can boost ketosis. Coconut oil contains medium-chain triglycerides a form of fat that is rapidly absorbed by the body and taken straight to the liver to be converted as ketones (for energy).
Also, coconut oil contains lauric acid. Some research shows lauric acid produce sustained ketosis levels as the body metabolizes them more slowly than other types of MCT.
When using coconut oil as part of your ketogenic diet, it is best to include them gradually. This is to minimize digestive side effects like diarrhea and stomach cramps. 1 teaspoon per day is the ideal way to start. Work up your way to 2 to 3 teaspoons a day for a week.
You can easily find coconut oil in local grocery stores or online.
Increase physical activity
More and more research shows the benefits of ketosis for athletic performance, especially for endurance exercises. Also, being more active helps the body get into ketosis state faster. This is because the body uses up stored glycogen. Normally, you replenish it by eating carbs and the body breaks it down and converts it to glycogen. When minimizing carbs intake however, your glycogen storage low. This triggers the liver to produce ketones as an alternative fuel for the muscles.
Ramp up your fat intake and eat ample amount of protein
Since the body needs fat as alternative to carbs, you need to supply your body with fat. The idea is to eat 60 to 80% of the calories from fat.
To maximize ketosis, you need to supply your body with protein. The liver needs amino acid (building blocks of protein) for gluconeogenesis (the process of making new glucose). The keyword is ample, excessive protein can be counterproductive for ketosis.
When in doubt, make sure to use ketone test strips so that you can ensure that your body maintains the state of ketosis.
The ketogenic diet, or simply known as keto diet, is one of the best diet strategies for those looking to achieve permanent weight loss. Unfortunately, there are plenty of misconceptions about this type of diet. Even scientific studies about this type of diet are quite polarizing with some attesting to its health and weight loss benefits, and others criticizing its potential risks.
But if you want to achieve the true health benefits of a ketogenic diet, it must be done the right way! The use of a ketogenic tester is one of the best ways to keep track of results and to ensure that you are getting the benefits you should. Aside from keeping track of your ketone levels at home, it is also about educating yourself about this diet.
Here is a list of common myths about the ketogenic diet and facts to debunk them.
Myth 1: Ketogenic diet is a high-protein diet.
This is the most common myth that people have about the keto diet, although it is far from reality. While protein is a huge component of the keto diet, it is important to consume it in moderation. Calories should still be moderated so you have to watch the amount of protein intake, as well. Fiber is another factor to take into account. When you consume too much fiber in your diet, it could prevent you from achieving the state of ketosis.
Myth 2: Ketogenic diet does not limit fat intake.
Being on a keto diet does not permit you to intake as much fat as you can. There are different types of fat, such as trans fat, which should be avoided (especially in high amounts). Instead, you need to go for fats that are part of the ketogenic group, such as omega-6 oils coming from soybean oil or vegetable oil. This, too, should be limited in the amount of intake. For best results, you need to aim for saturated fats from butter, MCT oil, and coconut oil.
Myth 3: Keto diet is only designed for those aiming to lose weight.
While weight loss is one of many benefits you can get from a keto diet, it has many other benefits to offer. Fat burning and weight loss are two of those. The benefits of this type of diet can also include normalizing blood sugar level, boosting digestive health, reducing risks for diabetes or heart disease, and regulating production of hormones.
Myth 4: You can reach ketosis in two weeks’ time.
Adapting this idea when you embark on a ketogenic diet is wishful thinking. Even a month is not enough time to achieve the ketosis level on your body! Your body has to go through the adaptation period wherein you are prompting the body to use fat as a fuel source. This can span anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks.
Since the body typically uses sugar as fuel source, it can take some time for it to switch to using fat instead. As your body transitions, you can expect low energy, headaches, fatigue, bloating, and general weakness. It is important to use a ketogenic tester to determine if you have met your target.
With all the myths floating around, it can be easy to believe the wrong information. Now that you know the facts behind the myths, you can be confident to pursue this diet and enjoy the benefits that you can get from it. It is also important to test yourself regularly to maintain the right ketone levels in your blood. For that, you can try the Ketonian Ship Saver Kit.
This ketogenic tester kit has everything you need to monitor your blood ketones and on your blood glucose. You can also get other kits such as the Ketonian Pro Kit or Ketonian Plus Pro Kit. Each of these testing kits contain the same tools – Keto Mojo Blood Ketone and Glucose Meter, blood ketone test strips, blood glucose test strips, lancets, lancing device, and accessory bag.
Maintaining a keto diet and lifestyle is not easy. To enjoy longevity, it is important to regularly use blood keto mojo ketone strips to ensure that you are doing it right. A blood test is performed using a blood sample. There are plenty of test kits available so you can perform it at home.
Importance of Blood Testing
Blood testing has had a long history when it concerns the health of humans. Testing the blood is one of the best ways to diagnose and address various types of diseases.
For individuals on a keto diet, blood test strips can help identify any critical changes to your body. These critical changes can have a significant impact on your overall health, and specifically your individual health systems.
A proper blood testing can empower you to make changes to your diet. The sooner and more frequently you can perform blood testing, the better you can be on your quest towards longevity and healthy life.
Blood Testing for Keto Diet
Timely feedback is vital in assessing your overall health condition. The access to home blood keto mojo ketone strips will make you feel empowered about your quest to maintaining a keto lifestyle. Specifically, a blood ketone test can measure the glucose and ketone blood levels.
Depending on your goal for adapting a keto diet, multiple daily tests might be required. The fact that you can now purchase home blood ketone testing kits can make this possible. You will have the tools you need to perform the test and do the analysis. Based on the result of the tests, you can make adjustments to your diet, as well as your exercise and daily routine.
Blood Testing and Understanding Keto Metabolism
Ketosis is the metabolic state wherein the body draws energy supply from the ketones in your blood (rather than from your blood glucose). This forces the body to convert fatty acids into ketone, which helps to metabolize fat at a faster rate than usual.
If you want to maintain that state of ketosis, the ketone bodies must be over 0.5mmol/l. The insulin and blood glucose levels should maintain a stable rating, too. Otherwise, you will not be able to enjoy the benefits offered by this type of diet.
Long-term ketosis can be achieved by fasting or maintaining a low-carb diet. This is what most people would refer to as switching on the “fat burning” mode.
Aside from measuring ketosis level, the use of blood keto mojo test strips is also important to measure your glucose level. If you want to maintain longevity, monitoring your glucose level is important. The use of keto mojo test strips will let you know if your blood sugar is just right.
The overall benefits of testing your blood sample for ketone and glucose levels are not just for maintaining ketosis. It can also help in maintaining optimal health to prevent life-threatening diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, and cancer.
You can get yourself Keto Mojo Test Kit that includes everything you need to perform at-home blood testing: lancet device, ketone and glucose test strips, and ketone and glucose meter. This makes it easier to sustain your keto diet and lifestyle.
In the past few years, the keto diet has become a worldwide sensation. Many people are now eager to switch to this kind of diet in the hopes of reaping the benefits offered by this kind of dietary routine. Staying in ketosis is a vital step in order to achieve the ketogenic diet. Achieving ketosis enables you to burn off plenty amount of fat and achieve the health benefits that it has to offer.
It can be difficult to know if you have achieved a level of ketosis – whether you are a newbie or had been on this diet for a long time. There are a few indicators of ketosis but it is important to know for sure that you have reached this level. The use of the best ketone test strip will enable you to determine with certainty your ketone levels.
How Ketone Level is Tested
Before delving into the best ketone test strips on the market, you need to know how ketone levels are tested. This will give you a better understanding of how to use the product and how to achieve the desired results.
There are three methods of testing your ketone levels: blood, urine, and breath. Each type of test will offer a different accuracy level. According to experts blood ketone tests offer the most accurate readings. Some users prefer urine strips because of their ease of use, however they aren’t anywhere near as accurate. When first starting keto urine strips will register ketones, but the level of ketones will drop as your body starts to use them. Also, if you happen to be dehydrated the urine strips will show ketones, even if there aren’t any.
Blood and urine strips are also easy to use because you can carry them around with you on-the-go. You can even use them for testing multiple times a day.
Of the three types of ketone tests, blood testing is the most accurate and recommended by all keto experts.
Why Choose The Best Ketone Test Strips?
While there are many forms and methods of testing ketone level in the body, experts know that blood ketone test strips are the best. One thing that makes the best ketone test strips superior is that our company was establish for those on a keto diet. Everything we do is for those on keto. Also, our strips are low in cost and FDA approved so you know they are accurate and trustworthy.
It only takes 10 seconds to get your result when testing and you can use our Bluetooth Chip to connect to the mobile app and download your results.
There are three main reasons why Keto-Mojo ketone test strips are recommended when getting your readings:
- Ketone test strips are convenient to use. The convenience offered by the best ketone test strip comes in the form and its use. They are small enough to be carried with you or used wherever you go.
- Ketone test strips are affordable. In fact, it is the cheapest blood test strips on the market.
- The Keto-Mojo blood ketone test strips offer the most accurate testing available that you can easily do anywhere. You get the best accuracy by using an FDA approved device with the best prices on the market.
Deciding on the best method for testing your ketone level is not easy. With more options in the market, it can make it more difficult to choose the right one. But based on the benefits offered by the best ketone test strips in the market, you will find that this is one method that is cheaper and convenient. This makes it easier to perform multiple testing in a day.
Ketosis is a metabolic process within the body that offers numerous health benefits. When your body enters ketosis, it converts fat into a compound known as ketones. This becomes the body’s main source of energy. There are several studies that claim diets promoting ketosis are great for weight loss as it can also help to suppress appetite. More studies are being done to see the impact of ketosis for Type 2 diabetes and other neurological disorders.
Whether you are trying to lose weight or simply want to live healthy, here are 10 tips you can try to get started on a keto diet.
- Identify food items you can add to your keto diet. This is the most important thing you need to know before embarking on a keto diet. To give you an idea, you must incorporate food that is low in carb, moderate in protein, and high in fat. A few examples of the items you can add to your keto diet: healthy fat (such as lard, olive oil, butter, and coconut oil), fish and seafood, meats and organ meats, berries, and non-starchy vegetables.
- Be aware of the ‘keto flu’. When you switch to a keto diet (also known as low-carb diet), your body will feel moody, tired, or nauseous as it craves for carbs. This is part of the adjustment period since your body is used to consuming carbohydrates and after removing carbs from your diet your electrolytes will be out of balance. These symptoms will last for a week or two. You can cope with these symptoms by drinking more water as well as increasing your salt intake.
- Look at fat as fuel. When you cut sugar from your diet, your body will naturally turn to fat as its source of energy. Don’t be afraid to turn to healthly sources of fat like coconut oil, olive oil and butter.
- Consume more coconut oil into your diet. Coconut oil is one of the main food components of the keto diet. It is also a good source of lauric acid that enable your body to produce sustained levels of ketosis. It is also metabolized faster than any other types of fat. Slowly build up a the amount you add to food. Adding too much before your body is used to it can cause digestive discomfort.
- Get active. Diet is not the only way you can achieve a keto lifestyle. You need to ramp up your physical activity, too. Ketosis has been known to benefit athletic performance and endurance exercises. Exercise helps to increase the rate of ketosis production.
- Try short fasting. One of the proven ways to start a keto diet is to go without eating for a few hours. A common trick used by people who follow this diet plan is to go on a fast from dinner one day until lunch the next day, about 16 hours. Intermittent fasting is a dietary approach that is known to induce ketosis. An important note on fasting, though: do not go more than 5 days as excessive loss of muscle mass can be dangerous to your health.
- Get enough protein. Another element of your keto diet that you need to pay close attention to is your protein intake. Make sure you consume enough of it without being excessive. You need protein so your liver gets adequate amount of amino acids to produce new glucose. They are important for the organs in your body that does not rely on ketones as fuel. Once you have tested your ketone levels, you can make adjustments to your diet as needed.
- Use the Keto-Mojo Blood Ketone and Glucose meter. Testing both ketones and glucose can help you adjust your diet so you can stay on track and hit your goals. A new measurement used to help determine the effectiveness of your diet is the Glucose Ketone Index (GKI). Rather than just getting a snapshot of your data by testing a single test, combining the two measurements gives you a better overall picture of your health.
- Build a meal plan. To increase your success at keto diet, you need to create a meal plan for lunch and dinner. This will decrease the chances of eating non-keto food items. You can even prepare your meals ahead of time and freeze them to be consumed later.
- Personalize your diet. This is one of the great things about the keto diet is that it involves a lot of self-experimentation. It is an exciting field that has seen a lot of growth over the past few years. Therefore, it is important to take the keto blood test to ensure that your target is being met.